Goal 1: School districts and school-based staff are able to identify and understand the complex experiences of students who are living in doubled-up housing situations. In addition, staff are properly trained to recognize, advocate for, and provide support services for McKinney-Vento eligible students, which include students who are doubled-up.
- Inform school and district staff, students and families, lawmakers, and community members about the different definitions of homelessness at the state and federal levels. (PE, LE) *See Housing Partnerships topic area, goal 4, for further information.
- Train school-based staff on how to identify and serve students living in doubled-up housing situations. (PE, LE)
- Train school-based staff on available housing resources for the benefit of students who are living doubled-up. (PE, LE)
Goal 2: Students and families living in doubled-up situations have access to programs and services that will help them meet their housing needs.
- Utilize Homeless Student Stability Program funding, local foundations, employee union organizations, and parent and teacher associations to support programs and services for students living doubled-up. (PE, MM)
- Provide support services for students and families in doubled-up living situations, such as case management, flexible funding, landlord incentives, and housing searches. Partnerships between schools and community-based organizations can also increase support for students and families whose housing status may restrict them from accessing services and resources. (PE, LE, MM) *See Housing Partnerships topic area for further information.
|PE||Professional Expertise||Building Changes staff; school and district staff interviewed through Schoolhouse Washington-funded projects and the Students of Color project|
|LE||Lived Expertise||Students and families of color experiencing homelessness interviewed through the Students of Color project|
|MM||Mixed-methods Research||Beating the Odds quantitative and qualitative analysis showing association between a practice and better-than-predicted outcomes|