We support policies that will help children, youth, and families leave homelessness behind.
Building Changes supports children, youth, and families experiencing homelessness from a holistic perspective, focusing especially on their education, health, and social and economic outcomes.
Our 2020 Washington State Policy Priorities:
Continue to invest in the Homeless Student Stability Program (HSSP)
- Secure an additional $1.3M for the OSPI grant program under HSSP to increase the number of grants and trainings.
Continue to improve and invest in early learning for children and families experiencing homelessness
- Extend the Homeless Grace Period under Working Connections Child Care to 12 months
- Ensure categorical eligibility for children experiencing homelessness in the Early Childhood Education & Assistance Program (ECEAP)
Support the Project Education Impact Workgroup to improve education outcomes for students experiencing homelessness or in foster care
- Establish and affirm the workgroup’s efforts
- Request annual report from the Education Research & Data Center (ERDC) to inform PEI’s review of education outcomes
- Clarify the workgroup’s responsibilities in providing recommendations for an optimal continuum of education support services, preschool to postsecondary, for children and youth in foster care or experiencing homelessness
Building Changes also supports our partners’ work on the following issues: housing, youth, social & economic, and education. Download our full legislative agenda, including our support agenda.